Saturday, March 28, 2009

Our ER Adventure

Today at 3:45 Klayte was eating a snack while I cleaned the stainless steel appliances just feet away but out of sight. Suddenly he began sneezing like crazy. I checked on him to find a dried blueberry in his right nostril. I removed it and saw another one I could only reach with tweezers. Wanting to be sure they were all gone, we left the house mid clean up on our way to the urgent care since the pediatrician is out of the office on Saturdays. We arrived at the urgent care at 4:05: minutes from the time they closed. Our only other option was the emergency room. In the hurry to get out of the house, I didn't remember toys so Klayte enjoyed doing circles around the fish tank. We picked the busiest day to have an emergency. Once we were escorted into triage 90 minutes later and Klayte was wearing a star patient sticker we were asked to sit in a recliner until a bed was available. This starts the beginning of Klayte's fame. He got a lot of attention from the nurses who somehow thought the blueberries in his nose were cute. They kept him sane with tongue depressers and specimen cups. Of course, he got bored and threw more fits. Miraculously he got a bed before the others waiting in recliners. The doctor saw him promptly and told me to blow into his mouth to loosen the blueberries. The doctor then shoved a three inch tube with a balloon on the end into each nostril and retrieved a blueberry from each. This was clearly very painful and I had to hold Klayte's legs down. While we waited for our printed discharge instructions a crazy girl having a major anxiety attack was placed right next to us. Her eyes were rolling into the back of her head and she was choking on her tongue so I was a little freaked out. We finally got out of that dirty place, but we still can't be sure that all the blueberries are out because an x-ray won't recognize organic objects. He will go to the same ENT office that checked his hearing on Monday. The little stinker is now sleeping with a rashy, swollen face and looking forward to seeing Daddy tomorrow.

1 comments:

Jana said...

OH!! I am in panic mode right now! I would have been so stressed, I bet you handled that one like a pro! I love how calm you are!