So, ever since my voice teacher in 12th grade assigned me the song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" I've loved it. Sure, I saw the movie "The Wizard of Oz" but hadn't felt a personal connection to it before. Then in Master Class in college I heard Monica Mancini's version. I thought there was not a more perfect rendition. A few years later I heard Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's interpretation: awesome. Then while watching "America's Got Talent" I heard Eva Cassidy's recording and fell in love with her tragic story. I think to date hers might be my favorite. Since then I've bought two albums where this song happened to appear. Today out of curiosity I found that iTunes has almost 4,000 files called "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" or just "Over the Rainbow." Of course there are repeats because there are some versions on multiple albums, but 4,000? The real question is: Who hasn't recorded this wonderful song? And the reason why I've been thinking about all this is because I realized that I have 6 files on my iPod:
1. Monica Mancini
2. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
3. Eva Cassidy (my favorite version)
4. Judy Garland (gotta have the original)
5. Mormon Tabernacle Choir
6. Ingrid Michaelson (my favorite overall artist)
But, in my query today, I found more files I want to buy...heehee!
Ella Fitzgerald
Frank Sinatra
Harry Connick Jr.
Rufus Wainwright
Jewel
Celtic Woman
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
OVERboard
Posted by Erin at 1:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Eva Cassidy's is my favorite too. Katherine Mcphee from American Idol has a good version also. I like Israel cuz he mixed it with "wonderful world" very nicely.
Post a Comment